Screening: The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
Mami Sunada | Japn | 2013 | 118mins.
There have been numerous documentaries about Studio Ghibli made for television and for DVD features, but no one had ever conceived of making a theatrical documentary feature about the famed animation studio. That is precisely what filmmaker Mami Sunada set out to do in her first film since her acclaimed directorial debut, Death of a Japanese Salesman. With near-unfettered access inside the studio, Sunada follows the key personnel at Ghibli - director Hayao Miyazaki, producer Toshio Suzuki and the elusive 'other' director, Isao Takahata - over the course of approximately one year as the studio rushes to complete their two highly anticipated new films, Miyazaki's The Wind Rises and Takahata's The Tale of The Princess Kaguya. The result is a rare glimpse into the inner workings of one of the most celebrated animation studios in the world, and a portrait of their dreams, passion and dedication that borders on madness.
- Showing at 18:30 on Thursday 12 February at Cineworld, Screen 3
Reserve your FREE ticket by clicking the link below.
- 13/02/15 Disney animator shares secrets of his success
- 13/02/15 Animex awards winners announced
- 20/01/15 Animex to focus on inclusivity and independent games development
- 22/12/14 Gaming graduates on top of the world